Through a partnership with Salem-Keizer Transit, United Way of the Mid-Willamette Valley offers bus passes at no cost to local nonprofit organizations for distribution to clients who need transporation in the Salem-Keizer area. The Cherriots’ Bus Pass program provides one-day bus passes to qualified organizations that serve clients in need of transportation support.
Terms and Conditions of United Way's Bus Pass Program
Eligible organization MUST:
- Be a 501(c)(3) not for profit organization to be eligible for passes. All other classifications are ineligible.
- Provide services in the health and human services field.
- Have a location that is accessible to the public for walk in bus pass requests. Office/location should be within the Salem-Keizer Transit District service area.
- Agree to adhere to the bus pass usage guidelines below.
- Public and private schools are not eligible to apply.
- Government agencies/programs are not eligible to apply.
The intent of the bus pass program through United Way of the Mid-Willamette Valley is to connect those in need with transportation to VITAL SERVICES so that they may achieve self-sufficiency and stability.
Bus passes may be issued for the following purposes:
- Transportation to access basic needs services such as; food, clothing and housing/shelter
- Physical and mental health appointments, if OHP will not provide triplink or reimbursement for the trip.
- Social service appointments such as Department of Human Services, Unemployment office, Social Security office, etc.
- Services provided by your organization or program such as support groups, case management, therapy, etc.
- Employment searches or job interviews
- Transportation to/from schoolLow-income adults seeking to obtain their GED/diploma or children needing emergency transportation to 24J schools
- Transportation to/from new employment (until 1st paycheck)
Bus passes may NOT be used for the following:
- Parole officer appointments-Parole officers have passes for this purpose
- Field trips or school activities
- Extra-curricular activities or sports
- Given to volunteers/staff
- Given away as prizes, giveaways, included in gift baskets or raffles
- Transportation to special events/community activities
- Trips that are covered by the client’s Oregon Health Plan health insurance. For more information concerning non-emergent medical transportation, contact Triplink at (503) 315-5544. Clients may alternatively have their medical mileage reimbursed through their health insurance - Find more information on OHP reimbursement.